Retiring the Flag
American flags which become torn or faded should be promptly removed from service. Worn out flags should NOT be thrown in the trash, but should be disposed of in a proper flag retirement ceremony. VFW Post 6401 collects these flags and properly disposes of them. If you have a flag that is no longer serviceable, please feel free to drop it off to one of our members for proper disposal.
Suggested Procedures for Disposing of a Faded, Worn Flag:
1. The flag should be folded in its customary manner.
2. It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.
3. Place the flag on the fire.
4. The individual (s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.
5. After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.
6. Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances
Copyright © VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS. All rights reserved.